City Hall business hours are Monday through Friday  8:00am - 4:00pm. 

WHAT IS THE INCOME TAX RATE IN HURON? - The City of Huron has a 1% income tax on gross wages and earnings. FILING IS MANDATORY, regardless of whether or not your employer withholds for you. Income tax returns are processed by the Regional Income Tax Agency (R.I.T.A) . contact R.I. T. A with any tax filing questions.  Failure to file results in penalty and interest charges assessed and/or court action.  For general inquiries, contact the City of Huron Finance Department at 419-433-5000 ext 3.

WHEN IS THE LAST DAY TO FILE INCOME TAX? The Last day to file Huron Income Tax is April 15th.


HOW IS WATER SERVICE BILLED? -The City of Huron provides and bills for water service. The amount of the bill is based on a flat availability charge (based on meter size) plus a usage charge of $2.60 per 100 cubic feet of water used (effective 1/1/2008), and is billed quarterly (every three months).  YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON AT THE FINANCE OFFICE FOR WATER SERVICE.

HOW IS SEWER SERVICE BILLED? - Sewer charges are billed by Erie County.  Contact Erie County at 419-627-7640.



Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste services are billed quarterly on the water bill. Two (2) 30-gallon bags or cans of garbage are collected at the curb every Monday.  Your garbage and/or recycling bin and/or yard waste must be placed at the curb by 6:00 A.M. on Monday morning. One green recycling bin is provided at the time you sign up for water service.

The garbage/recycling/yard waste collector is Republic Services.  The basic charge for garbage (2 bags), refuse, recyclable material, yard waste collection and disposal for each residential owner, tenant or occupant shall be $50.00 per calendar quarter. The basic charge for garbage and refuse collection and disposal for each commercial and industrial establishment shall be $50.00 per calendar quarter. 

Tags for additional bags or cans, as well as, oversized items can be purchased at the City of Huron Finance Department or Cornell's Grocery Store. A tag for an extra bag or can is $2.00. The tag for console TVs, stuffed chairs, recliners, lamps, microwaves, and bed frames (this does not include washers, dryers, refrigerators or stoves) is $4.00. The $6.00 tag will ensure the disposal of couches, kitchenettes, dinette sets and mattresses (this does not include washers, dryers, refrigerators or stoves).

*Holiday Schedules:  Residents are asked to set thier refuse out the night before their regularly scheduled day or by 6:00am the morning of. Holidays observed:   New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  If an observed Holiday falls on your normal scheduled day, your trash will be picked-up the next day.



Curbside collection of yard waste is provided by our garbage collectors once per week (Monday) year round. For purposes of providing yard waste collection services, the definition of yard waste is leaves, grass clippings, brush, dead plants, weeds, garden waste, dead trees or branches, chips and tree trunks that are eight inches or less in diameter, tree trimmings, excluding dirt, sod or construction debris.

Shrub, brush, tree trimmings should be securely tied toghether forming an easily handled package not exceeding four (4) feet in length nor sixty (60) pounds in weight.  These bundles need to be secured by twine or string (no wire).

From the curbside, the garbage collection agency will collect yard waste placed in 20-35 gallon containers, clearly marked in at least two inches letters, "YARD WASTE." The containers should be constructed of plastic, metal or fiberglass, having handles of adequate strength for lifting. The mouth of a container shall have a diameter greater than or equal to that of the base. Yard waste may also be placed in 15-35 gallons paper biodegradable yard waste bags. These bags are known to be available at most hardware stores and home improvement centers. The weight of each container or bag shall not exceed 60 pounds.

Improperly packaged yard waste will not be picked up by the garbage collection agency.

Food Scraps should be placed in an organic container (paper bag, newspaper, cardboard boxes) and placed in the Yard Waste container.


Billing or General Questions? Finance Department at 419-433-5000 ext 3

Missed Pick-up?  Contact Republic Services at 1-800-680-4285 or 1-800-234-3429 as soon as possible to report your address. 


DO I NEED TO HAVE A PERMIT TO HAVE A YARD/GARAGE SALE?  Yes, per the Codified Ordinances of the City, you are required to purchase a permit to hold a yard/garage sale.  Permits may be purchased at the City Manager's office Monday -Friday  8a.m.- 4 p.m at a cost of $2  


DO I NEED A PERMIT FOR WORK BEING DONE IN A CITY STREET AND/OR RIGHT OF WAY AREA? Yes, Per the Codified Ordiances you are required to obtain a permit for any work being done in the street or right of way area (driveway approaches, curbs, sidewalks, sewer lines, etc.)  Permit applications are available on this website under the tab STREET DEPARTMENT, or available at the Finance Office Monday-Friday 8am-4pm or the Service Complex Monday-Friday 7am-3pm


WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR TRIMMING/PRUNING OF LOW HANGING OR DEAD BRANCHES  IN THE RIGHT OF WAY OVER HANGING STREETS OR SIDEWALKS?  Per the Codified Ordinances, property owners that abut the right of way are responsible for maintenance.  As defined:  12' above the roadway, 16' above the roadway on truck routes, 10' above sidewalks.  Note:  Property owners are also responsible for the maintenance and/or removal of trees located in the right of way area.